Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Last Couple of Days...

They have been... challenging but also eye opening to how we had eaten before.
We will start with Monday night. For supper I decided to make fajitas. I found a whole wheat tortilla recipe in the past I would have just picked up any (white) flour tortilla or if I was in a "healthy mood" I would have picked up the one that says "low fat!" or "90 calories" and been perfectly fine with it because it is easy and convenient. But this time I decided to investigate the tortillas I would have picked up. The ingredients are ridiculous! Seriously there's almost 30+ different ingredients! Holy crap. What the hell are "dough conditioners" or "cellulose gum"? And why do they need to be in my food?! The recipe that I used had 4 ingredients! And it tasted every bit (if not better) than the store bought tortillas.And seriously making them isn't that hard at all. Kinda relaxing beating up the dough with my fists.


The next thing that happened was a thing of habit that we need to break. I forgot to get sour cream so like I usually do I asked Mr. T to pick some up from the grocery store on his way home. When he got home I noticed he got "light" sour cream not thinking of it and thinking it should just be the usual dairy stuff in it. But when I looked there is like 10 different ingredients most of them I could pronounce if it killed me. But since town is 10 minutes away and we were both starving we decided just to use it and be more careful next time.
Anyway, the fajitas were really really good! Even if there wasn't any meat in them Mr. T scarfed a couple down. I had put on a plate of different things to add to them like avocados, cilantro, tomatoes, and olives. Yummy!


Then last night I used the mixture (peppers, onions, and mushrooms) that was left over from the fajitas and added some zucchini to it and made quesadillas and they were delicious! I think this will be a staple meal especially when I go back to college because it's quick and so good!
Well tonight I will be making a whole free-range chicken in my crockpot and make broth with the carcass for chicken noodle soup tomorrow night! Fun fun!

2 comments:

  1. Forget the sour cream. Switch to Chobani greek yogurt, which has been double-strained for thickness, and has 4 types of probiotics in it. I also would suggest that you get a cast iron skillet for lefse, tortilla, and pan-searing. (If you want one, I'm sure I have an extra that I can pass along with Hannah)

    This will be a fun journey to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of using yogurt instead of sour cream before so I will do that next time! I've been keeping my eyes open for a cast iron pan at thrift stores but no luck yet! They are so expensive new but I know they are great and worth it! I might have to save up for one now! The pans I use now are hand me downs from my mom and they are ok. They're stainless steel with copper on the bottom and don't have teflon on them so that makes them good to use for most things.

    ReplyDelete